Justin Bieber, Over-all the Etiquette Schmetiquette

Posted by on Dec 2, 2012 in On The Street | 0 comments

“Can’t be wearin’ overalls to meet Obama, but the Canadian PM? Hell yea!”

Recently, this abominable photo made the rounds on the ‘nets, and the collective cracking of neck muscles could be heard around the world as people shook their heads in mock repulsion. I mean, just look at it. It’s strange how a singular image can arouse so many distinct emotions, like how the right contact between two specific wires can jumpstart a car.

Except, in this case, the car backfired and instead ejected its passenger into the stratosphere.

It’s not about the fact that Bieber decided to don a stylized Joe the plumber ensemble (actually, the outfit quite suits him and his onstage persona) replete with a metal chain, white tee and backwards baseball cap. It’s that he had decided to wear this particular ensemble to meet the prime minister of his country.

It’s essentially a sartorial iteration of the phrase “whatever.” “Oh, right, I’m meeting the prime minister today? Whatever!”

The 18-year old singer was ironically accepting the Diamond Jubilee Medal from Prime Minister Stephen Harper, who did remember to dress in a suit for the occasion. The award is given to Canadians who have made great achievements abroad.

““I met the Prime Minister in overalls lol,” he tweeted. “I hope you hate my style.”

His tasteless fashion choice was promptly met with a flurry of web-monishments:

Amritaa27 –

“Wow I love JB but he should not have worn overalls when accepting an award from the Prime Minister..

@therealmickel

justin biebers so wack, he went to go see the prime minister in overalls and a snapback, atleast wear a suit and show some class

@maddyzalot

Justin Bieber wearing overalls to meet the PM of Cananda – I don’t care if you were busy dude, take ten minutes to change into a damn suit.

Sorry @maddyzalot, I guess if you’re Bieber, you just can’t spare ten minutes to change. He tweeted the following after getting tut-tutted by Daily Mail writer Hayley Peterson:

“The pic of me and the Prime Minister was taken in a room in the arena where I was performing at that day. I walked straight from my meet and greet to him, if you, “Hayley,” expect me to have a change of clothes, let a loan a suit at that specific time, that’s crazy. It wasn’t like it was like I was going into his environment. We were at a hockey arena. Wow, am I ever white trash Hayley Peterson?”

In a way, it kind of sums up the ethos of a country that reveres hockey as a national sport, bastardizes the French language, and really has no use to anyone besides the Niagara Falls and maple syrup.

And for the punchline, here’s the follow-up tweet from the Prime Minister himself:

“In fairness to @justinbieber, I told him I would be wearin my overalls too.”

Classy.